A fresh soup with a good deal of flavor. Tastes great with tortilla chips and doesn’t weigh you down. Delish!
- 1 pound chicken breasts
- 2 32oz cartons chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 medium onions (halved and thinly sliced)
- 1 TBSP paprika
- 1 TBSP cumin
- 1 TBSP fresh ground pepper
- 1 TBSP ground sea salt
- 2 TBSP minced garlic
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz cans Black Beans (preferred brand, rinsed)
- 2 TBSP Mrs. Renfro’s Jalapeno Green Salsa (Hot)
- 1 small can diced green chilies
- Tortilla chips (garnish, Multi-Grain recommended)
- Guacamole (garnish)
- Jalapenos (garnish)
- In a large pot, combine thinly sliced onions, garlic, and 1 cup chicken broth. Let come to a boil.
- Rinse off chicken breasts and put them in the pot with the broth. Cover with more broth. Add in the cumin, salt, pepper, and paprika. Let come to a boil.
- Once chicken is cooked through, take out and shred. Then return it to the pot. Return to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Drain and rinse Black Beans. Add the fire-roasted tomatoes (with liquid) and the diced green chilies, as well as the Mrs. Renfro’s Green Salsa. Continue to let simmer until the black beans are cooked to your preferred taste (10-15 minutes).
- Serve soup with slices of jarred jalapenos, a dollop of guacamole, and/or tortilla chips. Other suggestions have been slices of avocado or pour the soup over a thin layer of Spanish rice.