Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Onion Rice

Onion Rice
Serves 4

Ingredients
  • 2 cans Campbell's low sodium French Onion Soup
  • 1 cup Uncle Ben's Rice (not instant rice)
  • 1 TBSP butter

Instructions
  1. Drain liquid from the French Onion Soup with a strainer into a measuring cup (try to use a measuring cup that will hold 2+ cups of liquid).
  2. Put the onions aside to add later.
  3. Check the rice packaging to see how much water you need for 1 cup of rice (usually 2 1/4 cup). Add water to top off the onion soup (check for extra liquid in the onions put aside).
  4. Add the liquid, butter, and rice to a pot and bring to boil.
  5. When boiling, cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir and check.
  6. When the liquid is absorbed, add the onions and finish cooking the rice until tender. Serve.


Note: Goes great as a side dish with broccoli, corn, and most meats.

I originally got this recipe from my mother-in-law, because it is one of my husband's favorite side dishes. I don't know where she got it from, but I've taken a long time to perfect the making, so when you make it, just feel out how it works for you. It is a really great side dish and reheats really well.

No comments: