Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Friday, February 18, 2011

Steak and Eggs-in-a-Grits-Nest

I’m trying a new recipe tonight. I saw it in the March 2011 Rachael Ray magazine, but I’m going to put my own spin on it. I’ve never really eaten grits before. I hear people talk about them all the time all over the food world. They rave about them when they are made right. My husband, though, hates grits. So I pitched him this recipe idea and he decided to consider it. I call it:

Steak and Eggs-in-a-Grits-Nest
Serves: 2-3
Time: 35 mins

Ingredients
1 1/2 cups quick-cooking grits
3 cups sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
6 TBSP butter
4 eggs
1 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 yellow onions, thinly sliced
4-6oz flank steak
2 TBSP Montreal Steak Seasoning

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Boil 2 1/4 cups water with salt and pepper seasoning. When boiling, add the grits and mix. Cover and turn to low until grits are thick and creamy.
  2. Start grilling or broiling your flank steak. Cover both sides with 1 TBSP Montreal seasoning and grill to preferred temperature. Remember to let rest when it has cooked long enough for the length and thickness. Slice at an angle against the grain.
  3. Add the cheese and butter and mix through the grits. Scoop into a 4x4 pan.
  4. Make small indentations in the grits and drop your eggs in. Crack them one by one into a small bowl if preferred.
  5. Then bake until the eggs are cooked, but the yokes are still a little runny. It took mine 30 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, slice the onion and bell pepper and slowly sautee on the stove until desired texture. 
  7. Combine on a plate and serve.

No comments: