Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Chicken Enchilada Soup

Chicken Enchilada Soup
Serves 6-8

Inspired by a recipe from Rachael Ray's website for Creamy Enchilada Soup, but I made some of my own changes. I've made this before and was trying to channel what I did that time to really infuse good flavor.

Ingredients
  • 1lb chicken breast sliced in long thin pieces (or shredded chicken if you have it)
  • 1 yellow onion sliced thin in halves
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 small can diced green chilies
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 2 TBSP Montreal Steak Seasoning
  • 1 TBSP Sea Salt
  • 1 cup Mrs. Renfro's Jalapeno Green Salsa Hot (or preferred green salsa, such as Salsa Verde)
  • 4 cups crushed tortilla chips (save some for garnish)
  • 1 cup of shredded Mexican cheese (save some for garnish)
  • 1 cup of shredded Pepper Jack Cheese
  • Sour Cream (for garnish)

Instructions
  1. In a large pot, sweat down the onions and garlic with a small splash of Olive Oil.
  2. While they sweat, cut the chicken up and season with half of the Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  3. Put the chicken in with the onions and garlic until they brown.
  4. Add the can of green chilies and cook for about a minute, incorporating into the mixture.
  5. Then add the 6 cups of chicken broth and add the sea salt and the last TBSP of Montreal Steak Seasoning.
  6. Let cook on medium for about 8 minutes.
  7. Add the Salsa and let cook for another 8-10 minutes. Check the chicken to make sure its the consistency that you want. If the pieces are too big, take some out and shred them yourself with a knife.
  8. After 10 minutes, add the cheese to the pot and stir until incorporated.
  9. Once the cheese is incorporated, add the tortilla chips. Then let simmer on low for 5-10 minutes, until a consistency that you prefer. If you think it is too thick, add a little more chicken broth or water.
  10. Serve in bowls with extra cheese, tortilla chips, and sour cream as garnish.

Note: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

No comments: