Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Friday, February 8, 2013

Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder

Cheesy Ham and Corn Chowder
Serves 4 (as a meal)

Once again, Ray has found a recipe that has been quite delicious. This was a recipe he had saved from a long time ago when he wanted to start cooking meals and when he looked it up again, he realized it came from Hormel! The soup, though, was definitely a treat when I arrived home after struggling through snow just to get home. It wasn't completely what I thought, but it was delicious. Chowders are a creamy broth with whole food chunks. I had thought it was going to be a creamy corn soup with ham. I was pleasantly surprised when it wasn't what I expected. A must cook again treat! Leftovers were also very delicious!


Ingredients
  • 2/3 cup chopped onion
  • 1 tablespoon light olive oil
  • 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 Chicken Bouillon Cubes
  • 4 yukon gold potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 cups frozen whole kernel corn
  • 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 2 cups shredded Colby cheese
  • 2 cups Farmland diced ham
  • 1 4oz jar of Dromedary Pimentos
  • Sliced green onions (garnish)
  • 1 TBSP poultry seasoning (sage)

Instructions
  1. In large saucepan, cook onion in oil, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes or until tender.
  2. Stir in flour until smooth. Keep stirring, making sure it does not burn.
  3. Stir in water, bouillon, potatoes, seasoning and pepper.
  4. Cover saucepan; cook, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
  5. Stir in milk, corn, cheese, ham and roasted peppers. Cook 8 to 10 minutes longer or until heated thoroughly.
  6. Once broth is to a preferred consistency and potatoes are cooked, serve and garnish with sliced green onions.

No comments: