Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Redux)

Slow Cooker Stuffed Cabbage Rolls (Redux)
Serves 4-6

When I first started this blog, I was living in Scotland and I was just really stepping into cooking. I was looking for recipes to try to help build my background in food. I remember cooking this recipe back then and I thought it was actually quite delicious. Now, with a few years behind me and many, many recipes, I thought I would retry the recipe. It doesn't hurt that a week or so ago, the episode of Top Chef had a quickfire using lettuce (some as a wrap) and it made me think of these rolls. So I reworked certain parts of it and I'm hoping it turns out just as delicious!

This original recipe I got from Liz's cooking Blog. But now that I've made some changes, I have to say I'm claiming it as a little bit more of my own recipe.

Ingredients:
  • 12 Large Cabbage leaves
  • 1 lb Ground Turkey
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 2 cups plain greek yogurt
  • 1 cup finely chopped onion
  • 1 TBSP Salt
  • 2 TBSP pepper (1 for the turkey, 1 for the mixture)
  • 1 TBSP paprika
  • 1 TBSP cumin
  • 1 C uncooked Brown Rice
  • 1 29oz can of Tomato Sauce
  • 1 cup Brown Sugar
  • 1 cup Lemon Juice (1/2 cup for the turkey, 1/2 cup for the sauce)
  • 1 cup Worcestershire

Instructions:
  1. Get out the slow cooker.
  2. Start by browning your ground turkey. Season your ground turkey as it browns with garlic, salt, pepper and lemon. When this is done, set aside.
  3. Start water boiling in a large pot for your cabbage. Cut the bottom of the cabbage off and slowly wiggle the leaves apart. Then boil as many as will submerge in the pot at a time until tender and flexible. If you still have trouble getting leaves off without ripping them, submerge the whole head of cabbage in the pot and then pull of leaves, re-submerging when needed. Do this until you have about 12 whole leaves.
  4. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, egg, greek yogurt, onion, spices, and rice. Mix well. 
  5. Take about 1/4 C of this mix and put into the center of a leaf. Fold in the sides, then fold up the bottom until it looks like a little burrito. Place them seam side down in the slow cooker until you have gone through your leaves or ran out of mix.
  6. In another bowl, combine the tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire. Pour this over the cabbage.
  7. Set to cook for 6 hours. 
  8. Make sure the cabbage is tender.  Serve.

No comments: