Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Mediterranean Capellini

Mediterranean Capellini
Serves 4

Yet another quick and easy meal made by my husband. We made very few changes to the recipe he found and it was absolutely delicious.  Great for busy weeknights. It would also be a great base for a protein dish. Shrimp or Chicken might be good. It's a start.

Ingredients
  • 1 (12-oz) pkg angel hair pasta
  • 3 TBSP olive oil
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 red onion, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper finely chopped
  • 1 14 1/2-oz can chopped tomatoes with their juice
  • 1 10-oz can diced tomatoes and green chilies with juices
  • 4 tsp drained capers
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
  • grated Parmesan cheese (garnish)

Instructions
  1. Cook pasta. Add 1 TBSP olive oil and salt to the water. Drain, set aside.
  2. While pasta is cooking, in large pan, heat oil and saute garlic, onion, and red pepper over medium heat until tender.
  3. Add tomatoes with their juice, tomatoes and green chilies, capers, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  4. Toss with pasta and Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.

No comments: