Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Pierogi and Squash Soup

Pierogi and Squash Soup
Serves 4

I saw this recipe in my Food Network magazine and I was super excited to make it. I love pierogies. I love tomato-y soups. Perfect! But then I forgot a few of the ingredients and had to change some of the recipe. So this is an inspired-by recipe from the Food Network. It was so good and those Progresso Recipe Starters are seriously delicious and helpful!


Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 8 ounces Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
  • 1 cup diced onions
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 Knorr Vegetable
  • 1 can Progresso Recipe Starters Fire Roasted Tomato
  • 48 oz low-sodium chicken broth
  • 3 cups shredded coleslaw mix or shredded cabbage
  • Half of a fresh butternut squash cut up into cubes (about 2-3 cups)
  • 8-12 frozen cheddar and potato pierogies
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. In a large pot, cook the onions, garlic, and sausage with olive oil on high.
  2. When the meat is cooked through, add the cabbage to soften it a bit.
  3. Add in the squash, chicken broth, and the Progresso Recipe Starter. Cover, and cook on high until the squash is almost cooked through.
  4. Add in the pierogies and cook uncovered until heated through. They will rise to the top of the pot.
  5. Salt and Pepper to taste at any time through cooking. Serve and enjoy!

No comments: