Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, January 27, 2013

Oven-Roasted Pasta Primavera with Real Beef Hot Dogs

Oven-Roasted Pasta Primavera with Real Beef Hot Dogs


This popped up when I was looking through my Rachael Ray Magazine and it looks so fresh and delicious, so I tried out the recipe from Johnsonville.com. Sadly, the sausage didn't make it on the grocery list (a mystery yet to be solved), so we used our beef hot dogs to fill in the gaps. It turned out AWESOME! My husband says he probably wouldn't have liked it as much if it hadn't been for the accidental slip. He didn't even know they were hot dogs! We also couldn't find zucchini. Both stores were out or had not received a shipment. Make it hard to cook healthy when stores don't provide healthy foods.


Ingredients
  • 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, quartered
  • 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 1 medium orange (or red) bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/8 tsp. pepper
  • 1 pkg. (14 oz.) Kelement's Chicago Brand Beef Hot Dogs (cut at an angle)
  • 12 oz. uncooked Cavatappi Pasta or pasta of your choice
  • 1 cup grated pecorino cheese
  • grated Parmesan cheese

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
  2. In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, tomatoes, onion and bell pepper. Add the oil, salt and pepper; toss to coat.
  3. Transfer to a greased shallow baking pan. Bake for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add the sausage and pecorino over vegetables. Bake until sausage is heated through.
  5. Meanwhile, cook linguine according to package directions; drain and place in a large bowl.
  6. Add sausage mixture and toss. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

No comments: