Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Monday, January 28, 2013

Broccoli, Kale, and Potato Frittata

Broccoli, Kale, and Potato Frittata
Serves 4

Based on Rachael Ray's Broccoli Rabe Frittata and Fennel Salad, but I wanted to add Kale and use egg whites for half of the eggs in the recipe. It turned out deliciously!

Ingredients
  • 5 tablespoons EVOO
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 bunch  broccoli florets, cut into small pieces
  • 4 large leaves of kale, striped from the stalk, tore into chunks
  • 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced (setting 1 on a handheld mandolin)
  • 1 large yukon gold, thinly sliced (setting 1 on a handheld mandolin)
  • 3 ounces pecorino-romano, grated
  • 5 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup egg whites

Instructions
  1. Preheat the broiler.
  2. In a large, ovenproof skillet, heat 1 tbsp. EVOO over medium-high heat. Stir in the broccoli and kale with 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook until crisp-tender. Drain and transfer to a plate.
  3. Add the remaining 3 tbsp. EVOO to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the potatoes and onions; season with salt and pepper. Cook, turning occasionally, until tender.
  4. Add the kale and broccoli; cook for 2 minutes.
  5. Stir half of the cheese into the eggs; season with salt and pepper. Pour evenly over the vegetables.
  6. Cook until set around the edges of the pan but still jiggly in the center.
  7. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese. 
  8. Transfer to the oven and broil until set and golden.

No comments: