Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash

Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash
Servings: 6

I wanted something healthy to go along with my mashed potatoes. I used this as a filling once for a ravioli, but I thought I'd see if I could make it healthier and use it as a side for my healthy meatloaf. A recipe showed up on EatingWell.com, so I tried it. You can get all then nutritional information on their website for the recipe. It breaks down to about 135 calories per 2/3 cup of potatoes. It was awesome, even though it was lacking a little love in the butter department. Ahem. But here it is with my changes.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes, cut into wedges
  • 4 cups broccoli crowns, chopped
  • 3/4 cup shredded Gruyere cheese
  • 1/2 cup nonfat milk, heated
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • Freshly ground pepper, to taste

Instructions
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
  2. Place potatoes and broccoli in and cook until tender.
  3. Transfer the broccoli and potatoes to a large bowl and coarsely mash with a potato masher. 
  4. Add the cheese, milk, salt and pepper and continue mashing to desired consistency. 
  5. Serve immediately.

No comments: