Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Blackened Chicken Tenders

Blackened Chicken Tenders


Ray (my husband) made this as one of his recipes he wanted to cook for the week, as he ventures into the world of twice-a-week meals. He said it was a little different than the one I will link to here, but it turned out really well. It would have been better if he followed the recipe linked here from Relish. So that is the one I will share, as the only difference was the amount of condensed milk used. The recipe went really well with scalloped potatoes.


Ingredients
  • 2 tablespoons paprika
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 - green bell pepper, cored and chopped
  • 1 - red bell pepper, cored and chopped
  • 1 cup chopped red onion
  • 1 - (5-ounce) can evaporated skim milk
  • 1/4 cup chopped green onions

Directions
  1. In large resealable bag, combine paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, pepper, salt. Add chicken, shake to coat.  
  2. In large nonstick skillet coated with nonstick cooking spray, heat olive oil over medium heat, sauté chicken 5–7 minutes or until browned and done. Remove to a plate.  
  3. In same skillet, add green pepper, red pepper, onion, scraping bits from bottom of pan. Cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until tender.
  4. Add evaporated milk, stirring, one minute or until heated and bubbly. Serve chicken with sauce, sprinkle with green onions, if desired.

No comments: