Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, January 20, 2013

New Year Meatloaf

New Year Meatloaf
Serves 8-10

I am always trying to strike that balance between what my husband loves about meatloaf and what I want to get out of meatloaf. So I browsed recipe after recipe. I looked through different articles talking about how to replace this with that to make a healthier recipe. What I came up with is below and did an amazing job hitting the mark on all accounts. So I called it a New Year Meatloaf to include that idea of healthy foods, without misrepresenting the idea that it is healthy. Gluten Free, by the way. I just included healthy options in the loaf, so for me, it's a healthier loaf than what I've known before. For my husband, it was exactly what he wanted.


Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1/2 cup shredded carrot
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup egg whites (or 2 egg whites)
  • 3/4 cup rolled Oates, minced in a blender until they resemble fine bread crumbs (or use a hand chopper)
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 TBSP coriander
  • 1 TBSP chili powder
  • 1 packet Onion Soup mix
  • salt and pepper as preferred

Instructions
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. In a bowl, mix the meat, carrots, bell peppers, onion, egg, egg whites, Oates, Parmesan, curry, coriander, chili, onion soup mix, salt, pepper, and garlic.
  3. Mix with hands until thoroughly combined.
  4. In a non-stick baking dish, form meat into a loaf shape.
  5. Bake for 45 minutes.
  6. Pull out, take off foil and spread the ketchup on top.
  7. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
  8. Serve with Cheesy Broccoli-Potato Mash.

No comments: