Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Sainsbury's Experiment Night 6

Tonight is the last night of Week 1 of our Sainsbury's Experiment. Tonight is the Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Bake. The problem I am running into so far is that they don't have appropriate portion packets on the pasta, so I'm ending up with alot of leftover pasta. My biggest mistake is that I shouldn't cook the pasta, I should try to portion it out and then write on the ziplock bag how much is left, roughly. So not only do I have a cold pasta salad leftover from last night's dinner (took the leftover penne and made a salad from it), but now I have leftover fusilli that I don't know what to do with. But here's tonight's dinner:

Spinach and Ricotta Pasta Bake

Ingredients
50g Butter
A bunch of Spring onions, finely sliced
250g Frozen chopped spinach, thawed
200g Dried penne or fusilli pasta
A generous grating Nutmeg
30g Freshly grated grana padano
250g Ricotta

Method
1. Heat 40g butter in a pan, add the spring onions and cook for 2 minutes.
2. Squeeze excess water from the spinach and add to the pan. Leave over a low heat to absorb the butter.
3. Cook the pasta according to pack instructions.
4. Season the spinach and onions with salt, black pepper and nutmeg.
5. Add 20g grana padano.
6. Drain the pasta and tip into the spinach.
7. Stir in the ricotta mixture and spoon into a buttered dish.
8. Scatter with the rest of the grana padano.
9. Melt the remaining butter, trickle over, place under the grill and heat until golden.

Serves: 3
Per Serving:546 kcal, 22.7g protein, 28.2g fat, of which 16.8g saturated fat, 53.7g carbohydrate, 0g added sugars, 4.0g fibre and 1.0g salt


I don't know if I would cook this again. For one, the recipe was too heavy on the spinach and I would maybe have added another cheese, like some mozzerella. And, for whatever reason, it is incredibly heavy on the tummy. Definitely not a date-night meal. I am also shocked by how much is leftover. This is disappointing, because I didn't really enjoy the meal much to begin with. Additionally, I have the pasta issue I addressed above.

But Ray loved the meal. He said it was like a quiche, but with pasta instead of egg. He thought it was so great, he went back for seconds, whereas I could barely finish my first bowl. Ray also declared he would be finishing the rest of it tomorrow. Go figure!

So we were split on the last recipe for the day.

No comments: