Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Sainsbury's Experiment Night 2

Tonight we made our second dinner from my Sainsbury's shopping experiment. I chose to make the Prawn, Avocado, Lime and Chilli Noodles dish. I was a little unsure about this dish, mostly for Ray, because he doesn't like avocado very much, but it had hints of oriental noodle flavors that I have played around with in the past. My only personal concern was for the rice noodles, which I struggle with cooking.

Prawn, Avocado, Lime and Chilli Noodles

Ingredients
60g (2½oz)Thai rice noodles
2 large avocado
2 large red chillies
2 limes, zest and juice
1 pinch of sugar
2 tbsp Toasted sesame oil
1 handful Frozen Soya beans, defrosted
1 x 220g pack Cooked jumbo king prawns
3 tbsp Chopped fresh coriander
2 tbsp Chopped fresh mint
2 tbsp Chopped peanuts

Method
1. Soak the rice noodles in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, drain and rinse in cold water, then leave to cool.
2. Peel and chop the avocado, and finely chop the chillies, removing the seeds. Toss the lime zest and juice in a bowl with the chillies, sugar, sesame oil, avocado, soya beans and a pinch of salt.
3. Add the prawns to the bowl with the herbs and noodles.
4. Toss together and serve in bowls, scattered with the peanuts.

Serves: 2
Per Serving:602cals, 38.8g fat, of which 7.1g saturated fat; 31.5g carbohydrate; 31g protein; 1g added sugar; 0.6g salt; 6.1g fiber

Tonight's dish was almost a miss. I originally forgot the pinch of sugar and my portion had a few too many soya beans. I ended up cooking the shrimp in some garlic and a little bit of butter before adding, which really helped enhance the dish. I have no pictures, because I thought the dish would not be a re-do, but Ray ended up enjoying and we're going to try to make it again at a later date. It was very easy to make and very filling, because of the vegetables.

No comments: