Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Friday, February 6, 2009

Sainsbury's Experiment Night 4

Night 4 we cooked the meal we were supposed to cook on Night 3. The chicken has finally thawed out and the carribean smells of Jerk Chicken with Coconut Bean Rice can now waft through our small flat.

Jerk Chicken with Coconut Bean Rice
Serves: 4


Ingredients
200g Long grain rice
1 x 410g tin Black-eye beans
1 x 400ml tin Coconut milk
8 Chicken thighs
1½ tbsp Jerk seasoning mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar
1 tbsp Vegetable oil
2 Medium onions, peeled and sliced
1 Zest and juice of lime

Method
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C, fan 200°C, gas 7.
2. Bring a pan of water to the boil, and simmer the rice for 10 minutes.
3. Drain, return to the pan with the black-eye beans and their juice and the coconut milk.
4. Simmer for 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
5. Toss the chicken thighs with the jerk seasoning mix and the oil.
6. Fry over a high heat for 3 minutes in a large ovenproof frying pan.
7. Add the sliced onions to the pan, lift the chicken on top, fry for 2 minutes, place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes until cooked through
8. Serve on the coconut bean rice sprinkled with lime zest and juice

Sadly, we did not completely enjoy this dish. The coconut and bean rice was bland and just didn't really fill the hunger niche. Something was missing from the recipe with that rice. Plus my husband doesn't like this kind of rice, he prefers a completely savory rice.

The chicken was fine, but it would have essentially been a chicken breast with jerk seasoning anyways. I didn't have a bakeable frying pan, so I had to use a casserole dish to finish cooking the chicken. I'd prefer to just make a skinless chicken breast with jerk seasoning and some rice pilaf or other savory rice with some broccoli. I don't really enjoy chicken with the skin on, because it has a tendency to get a bit greasy.

Tonight was a miss, but at least now we have jerk seasoning to play with on our own time with other foods. Tomorrow I think we'll be enjoying the Prawn and Spinach Penne Pasta bake.

No comments: