Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Sainsbury's Experiment Night 3

Night three was a disaster. Our scheduled meal was supposed to be Jerk Chicken with coconut bean rice, but I forgot to take the chicken out of the freezer and it didn't thaw in time for dinner. So we switched things around and made the Chorizo and Pasta Hot Pot.

Chorizo and Pasta Hot Pot

Ingredients
100g pack Spanish chorizo
2 onions
390g carton chopped tomatoes (or can of chopped tomatoes)
250g pack conchigliette
400g White farmhouse loaf (or any preferred thick cut bread or rolls)
1 vegetable stock cube (or chicken) or 1 liter vegetable stock
1 small can of preferred peas

Method
1. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot or saucepan and add 2 onions, peeled and roughly chopped. Add 1 x 100g pack Spanish chorizo, with each slice halved, and fry until crispy.
2. Add 1 x 390g carton chopped tomatoes and stir in 250g conchigliette.
3. Add 1 litre vegetable stock, made with 1 stock cube, and simmer for 15 minutes.
4. Add 1 can peas and cook for another 5 minutes, until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked.
5. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
6. Serve in large bowls with chunks of bread on the side

Serves: 4
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes

What a hit this was. It was even supposed to make 4 portions, but made roughly 6 portions, so now we have lunch for tomorrow! I was so thrilled with this dish. It is a perfect "winter" dish or comfort food. I love one-pot dishes and I was so nervous about this because of our last chorizo experiment with the tomato pancakes, but this was so delicious!

No comments: