Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Beefy Tomato Rice Skillet

Beefy Tomato Rice Skillet
From Taste of Home: Simple & Delicious December 2008. If a skillet is too small (and it might be) cook in a pot. That will give the rice enough room to expand.




Ingredients
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 2 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 cup chopped celery
  • 1 large chopped yellow onion
  • 1 large green pepper chopped
  • 1 can (11oz) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 2 cans (10 3/4oz) condense tomato soup
  • 2 cups water or chicken/beef broth
  • 2 TBSP Italian seasoning
  • 1 cup uncooked rice (long grain or brown)
  • 1 cup grated Parmesan or 2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (for garnish)
  • Salt and Pepper

Instructions

  1. In a large skillet or frying pan cook the meat, seasoning it with salt and pepper.
  2. When brown, drain the meat and set aside.
  3. Add the celery, onion and bell peppers to the skillet and sweat down.
  4. When the vegetables are slightly soft, add the meat back into the skillet, and also add the tomato soup and water (or broth). Bring to a boil. 
  5. Add uncooked rice, cover and cook on Medium for 20 minutes.
  6. At 10 minutes, add the corn and Italian seasoning, recover and cook for the last 10 minutes or until the rice is cooked through.
  7. Sprinkle the cheese on the dish at the end.
  8. Serve with steamed broccoli on the side.

No comments: