Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Monday, July 28, 2008

Sarah's Chili Con Carne

(Serves 6-8... good for bulk cooking and freezing)

With White Rice

Ingredients:
2 500g packages of ground beef (or preferred mince)
400g tomato paste
3 cans diced tomatoes (with liquid)
2 green bell pepper (diced and deseeded)
2 Ramiro Peppers (long red pepper, usually has a sweet taste) - (diced and deseeded)
2 cans kidney beans (drained and rinsed... if they have them with chili sauce, get those... I know Sainsbury does)
2 onions (yellow or white... diced)
8-10 slices of the jarred jalapenos in vinegar (dice them)
2 beef bullion cubes (Knorr brand is the best)
1/3 cup Worchester Sauce
1-2 cups water (depending on how thick you want it)
5 TBSP Cumin
5 TBSP Coriander
1.5 TBSP Chili Powder (hot)
1 TBSP Salt
1 TBSP ground black pepper

For Serving:
Preferred rice (wholegrain, brown, white, etc)
Sour Cream
Cheese
Jalapenos

Brown the meat with the onions. Drain off as much grease as possible when it's done. You can also, after you drain it, dump it on a plate covered in paper towel to pat off the excess.

Put the meat into a slow cooker. Depending on your slow cooker setting, I had mine turned on high (I only have high, medium, and low) and it cooked well in 4 hours. The key is to let it simmer. So if you don't want to use a slow cooker, turn your stove on medium low or low and cover everything.

To the meat add the rest of the ingredients, saving the water for last. Add one cup and if you still feel its too little, just add a little more until you feel it'll be the right consistency. I only added 2 cups and it didn't look like enough, but once the veggies started cooking it became more liquidy. So just be lean on the water. You can add more as you go if you don't feel you added enough.

Let simmer until the peppers are soft or until at desired taste/style. You should be able to tell when it's the type of done you want. Just cook it slow and it'll turn out great!

Use brown or white rice. Some also prefer noodles. It's up to you what you do with the chili when it is done. Enjoy!

With Brown Rice

No comments: