Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Saturday, January 14, 2012

Refreshing Shrimp Salad

Refreshing Shrimp Salad
Serves 2-4 (depending on how you serve it)



This recipe was inspired by one I saw for a Shrimp Salad from Ina Garten. Her recipe is for an enormous amount of shrimp, so I tried to make adjustments. It was great on a roll  for lunch and could easily make 3-4 sandwiches. As a salad topping or alone, I'd say it would feed closer to two people. Depends on how you want to use it. It turned out to be incredibly refreshing and would do 

Ingredients
Boiled Shrimp
  • 2 cups water
  • 1.5 cups white wine vinegar
  • 4 TBSP Old Bay with Lemon and Herb Seasoning
  • 1/2 - 1 cup fresh lemon juice (about 1 large lemon juiced)
  • 1 lbs uncooked medium-large shrimp in shell

Dressing
  • 1/3 cup red onion minced
  • 1 cup minced celery
  • 1 TBSP fresh dill minced
  • 2 TBSP pepper
  • 1 TBSP horseradish
  • 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 1 TBSP ground stone mustard
  • 1 TBSP white wine vinegar

Instructions
  1. In a large pot, bring the water, white vinegar, lemon juice, and Old Bay Seasoning to boil. Add in shrimp. Cook them for 3-5 minutes, or until cooked through. Remove from pot and put aside to cool.
  2. Combine the Dressing ingredients and stir.
  3. In a separate bowl, put the peeled shrimp after cutting them in halves or thirds depending on size.
  4. When shrimp are cooled and ready in the separate bowl, spoon your preferred amount of dressing over the shrimp. Mix one spoonful in before adding another to make sure the shrimp are thoroughly coated. 
  5. Refrigerate, covered or in a tupperware container, for 30 minutes or more.
  6. Serve over lettuce, as a sandwich or by itself.

No comments: