Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Quick and Easy Potato Pancakes

Quick and Easy Potato Pancakes
(Makes Roughly 20)
I couldn't help it, I had to post this recipe, as simple as it is and regardless of how anti-carb many of you are.

I learned how to make a simple potato pancake which was easy, delicious, and the leftovers stored beautifully.

Peel and shred (which a cheese shredder… use the larger shredder style) 4-5 medium potatoes. Then dice 1 medium yellow onion. If you are gutsy enough, shred the onion as well. Then add two eggs and 1.5 - 2 cups of flour. Depending on how wet your mixture is, slowly add the last 1/2 cup of flour. It should have a batter that looks similar to the thickness of a good pancake batter (not runny pancake batter). Make sure you add salt and pepper, else they will be flavorless. Spice them up by adding a small pinch of dried chilies or fresh cut chilies. I think a shredded cheddar might go well in it (but that's for testing later).
Then get your pan nice and hot. Use butter (or marg) and scoop the mixture into the pan. Make whatever size pancake you want. Let it cook on one side until it starts to lightly brown around the edges (like a normal pancake) then flip and then cook through.

Then serve with whatever you desire (sour cream, apple sauce, etc). They were so much better than any prepackaged pancake I have EVER had. Even Ray, who does not like potato pancakes, loved them!

Enjoy!

No comments: