Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Pulled BBQ Beef Sandwich

Pulled BBQ Beef Sandwich
Inspired by Rachael Ray's Pulled BBQ Beef Sandwich.

Ingredients
  • 2 large onion, sliced thin
  •  3 cups ketchup
  • 1 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons paprika
  • 2 tablespoons cumin
  • 2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into two large pieces
  • 3 tablespoons minced garlic
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1 1 pound container  prepared coleslaw (we used Sendiks')
  • 6 hamburger buns or favorite roles

Instructions
  1. In a large slow cooker, combine the onion, ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, cider vinegar, and paprika. Whisk together.
  2. Add the chuck roast and coat with the sauce. Cover and cook on low heat until tender, 7 to 8 hours. Start the night before and let cook for longer.
  3. Using tongs, remove the beef from the sauce; shred. 
  4. Skim off and discard the fat from the sauce, stir in the shredded beef and season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Sandwich the meat, topped with some coleslaw, on the buns.

No comments: