Welcome to Sarah's Adventures in Culinary Experimentation

This blog is for posting recipes I've experimented with while teaching myself to cook. Some I have taken from my favorite recipe books, others are purely my own experimentations. My audience is usually just my husband, my toddler daughter, and I and we are living on a tight budget. Sometimes you might find a splurge.

Hopefully you'll find something here that you like!

Friday, May 30, 2008

Spur-of-the-Moment Arroz con Pollo

I came up with this delicious and simple recipe this evening while procrastinating from working and waiting for Ray to get home.... I couldn't believe how easy it was and how delicious it turned out. It is partly inspired by a dish my mother-in-law, Nora, makes called Arroz con Pollo (but without the saffron). So here it is......

Spur-of-the-Moment Arroz con Pollo

Ingredients:

1 can diced tomatoes (drained) - two cans if you think one doesn't cut it
1 can corn (drained)
1 can pitted black olives (drained) - might need only half a can
2 packets premade microwaveable Uncle Ben's rice (Pilau flavored, Spanish flavored, whatever floats your boat) - microwave both packets before adding
1 lb chicken breast (diced)
2 cups white wine (just sub water if you don't have wine... its simply a flavor additive)
1 tsp olive oil (for pan)
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tsp cumin
1/2 packet fajita seasoning
salt and pepper


Brown a pound of diced chicken with 1tsp olive oil, 2 cups white wine, 2 tsp chopped garlic, 1tsp cumin, 1/2 packet fajita seasoning, a dash of salt and pepper as preferred.


Throw all the ingredients into a pot with the browned chicken and let simmer on med for 15 minutes (stirring as needed). Salt and pepper to taste.


(Serves roughly 4-6)

No comments: